The Texas Association of Buckskinners began in the late 1970s when three friends who were interested in survivalism decided to put together a group to focus on survival skills based on the Mountain Men of the Western Fur Trade.
After more than 30 years, one of the oldest buckskinning groups in Texas is still going strong, with events held the last weekend of January (Deep Winter), the third weekend in April (Spring) and the last weekend in October (Fall).
Always welcoming new members, the Texas Association of Buckskinners is a friendly group that encourages period correct equipment and skills, while helping new pilgrims get more involved in the hobby.
Current president David “Bulldog” Hoffman, the nephew of one of the original founders of the club, welcomes all buckskinners and new pilgrims to attend upcoming TAB events.
Texas Association of Buckskinners Yahoo Group: http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/T-A-B
Texas Association of Buckskinners – Rendezvous Rules
- NO ILLEGAL DRUGS: Violator(s) will be escorted out of camp and removed from TAB Membership.
- FIGHTING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED: Persons involved in a fight will be escorted out of camp! Any use of weapons, or intent of such use, will result in legal prosecution of the parties involved.
- MEMBERSHIP FEE $40.00 ANNUALLY Three rendezvous per year. October, January, April
- CAMP FEE FOR NON MEMBERS OR WALK-INS $20.00
- No modern shelters or shelter materials in primitive camp. (nylon tents, government O.D. green material or pup tents).
- Pets are to be kept on a leash. Horses and mules staked or hobbled. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Ice chests, sleeping bags, modern mattresses, canned drinks or bottles and trash must be kept covered and out of sight. No beverages are to be consumed from modern containers. Traditional (primitive) containers such as mugs, tin cups, crocks, etc., only.
- All night lighting must be by torch, camp fire, candle lamps, oil lamps only. No other forms of lighting will be allowed.
- Vehicle unloading and loading. ONE HOUR UNLOAD TIME. As a common courtesy to other campers, get your vehicle out of camp! The only time vehicles will be allowed in camp is with the permission of the Booshway.
- All campers (members and guests) shall be in period dress (pre-1840) within one hour of arrival in camp.
- AT NO TIME WILL THE GENERAL PUBLIC BE ALLOWED.
- Furniture (table, chairs, etc.) must be pre 1840 style.
- ALL FIRES MUST BE OUT AND PITS FILLED BEFORE LEAVING!
- Take your trash and garbage out when you leave. Leave site as you found it!
- All cooking and eating gear pre-1840 style. No plastic bowls, spoons, etc.
- No wrist watches, cigarette lighters, or non-primitive items to be worn.(prescription eye glasses OK)
- Cameras to be kept out of sight when not being used.
- No revolvers or breach loaders are to be used in contests or carried in camp. (example: Patterson)
- No shooting boxes, benches or shooting aids such as spotting scopes, gloves, micrometer adjustable sites, etc. All shooting events are open hunting sights, round ball and black powder (down barrel) and to be loaded out of possible bag.
- NO SHOOTING OF BLANKS OR LIVE LOADS IN CAMP!
- All traders must be TAB members. Must pay $40.00 membership fee.
- ANY SPECIAL RULES MADE BY THE BOOSHWAY AT THEIR RENDEZVOUS WILL BE ADHERED TO.
- If you arrive late at night, do not camp in others’ front door unless you are invited.
- All contestants of events must be paid members of TAB or have paid a $20.00 camp fee.
- No chain saws.
TAB RENDEZVOUS DATES:
- Last full weekend in October
- Last full weekend in January
- In April . . . date to be determined at the January rendezvous so as not to conflict with Easter Sunday weekend.
We realize that these rules may seem too much for some and by others too lax. There are other clubs and organizations to fill the needs of both extremes. THESE RULES WILL BE ENFORCED BY THE BOARD MEMBERS AND BOOSHWAYS AT ALL T. A. B. RENDEZVOUS.